Thursday, March 12, 2020

A previous opinion and I was right!

Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s i was a newspaper reporter. I wrote a lot of political and business news. It became obvious to me that manufacturing plants in small towns were closing as the work moved to other parts of the world. The moves were to obtain low wage workers. I thought this was a really bad mistake, based on my own chart.

I contacted Congress people in DC and expressed what a mistake this was. I wanted a law that half of what was purchased in the USA was manufactured here. I was trying to be fair about importing! I was told i didn’t know what i was talking about and i needed to get with “progress.”

The USA became a “service economy.”

Here we are in 2020 and the country is pretty much shutting down because of a virus from another continent. Services are getting hit hard. Part of the reason is because of a political ploy. But part is because we are a service instead of a manufacturing economy.

Many ingredients of our medicines come from other parts of the world. Despite Pres Trump bringing some manufacturing activity back to this country, there are many plants still closed, meaning Americans have continued to buy a lot from other countries.

With exporting from China slowing down dramatically, becausevof the Wuhan virus, purchasers in the USA are not finding all the previous choices available.

We would have been better off for manufacturing to have continued here. Even if items were more expensive. Of course, those legislators from the time i wrote snail-nail letters are no longer in Congress. Still, we would bow be better off if this were a manufacturing instead of service economy. I was right all those decades ago, but i do have an isolationist natal chart, so maybe my opinion comes strongly from that. Oh well! We shall see what the future holds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment